Vishing involves a fraudster phoning a potential victim and posing as someone from a bank, financial institution, the police or another legitimate organization in an attempt to obtain financial information which includes debit and credit card details, bank account details and personal information. This information is used by the fraudster to gain access to their victim’s finances.
Fraudsters purporting to be representatives of financial institutions also attempt to persuade unsuspecting customers to make payments into accounts by using a number of techniques:-
- Urgency: You are made to believe your money is in danger and have to act quickly - fear often leads people into acting without thinking
- Phone spoofing: The phone number appears to be legitimate, so it is easy to believe the caller.
- Holding the line: In some cases, the criminals can hold your telephone line, so if you hang up to call back the bank, you can get put straight back to the fraudsters.
- Atmosphere: The fraudsters are completely professional and reassure customers that the step should be taken for their benefit
Steps to take to avoid Vishing:
Be wary of:
- Any calls, texts or emails purporting to be from UTC, the police or any company asking for personal or financial details, or for you to transfer money.
- ‘Cold callers’ who suggest you hang up the phone and call them back. Fraudsters can keep your phone line open by not putting down the receiver at their end.
- UTC or the police will never call you to ask for your 4 digit PIN or your Online passwords.
If you feel something is suspicious or feel vulnerable, hang up, wait five minutes to clear the line, or where possible use a different phone line, then immediately contact the UTC at 625-8648 option 3 between the hours of 7:00am and 10:00pm daily or email CardandOnlineServiceRepresentatives@ttutc.com
- Your four digit PIN to anyone, including UTC or the police.
- Your Sign-on and Transaction passwords or your U-Online UMobileSafe Codes.
- Personal details unless you are certain of who you are talking to.